Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Moab 2005 Part One

If you look at the entire population, only a small percentage of people have a passion for mountain biking (the crazies). Out of these crazies a smaller percentage race their bikes (the freaks). Out of these freaks a smaller percentage take their families to a24-hour race (the wackos). Out of this wackos, only a few would race with their spouse and with the kids (the insane).

I admit I am one of the super-crazy-insane-wacko-freaks.



CL and I headed out west this weekend for a little event called the 24-hours of Moab. We signed up three other friends (5-person open team). These are true friends, individuals who are willing to do a 24-hour race with the super-crazy-insane-wacko-freak family. And without these friends, we would not be able to race, so I thank you.


The irony of doing a 24-hour race with your family is that your focus is not on the race, it is on your children and your spouse. You're concerned that your kids have a great experience, and your wife has a great experience. In between playing, reading, hiking, eating, story telling, and pottying, you ride your bike as hard and fast as you can--so you can get back to camp and do the first part all over again. :).


We had an eclectic team this year, CL, Speedie, Hollywood, Cruzinator, and me. CL had never raced at night, Hollywood was returning from ACL reconstructive surgery, Speedie is always up for a Moab race, and the youthful Cruzinator was along for his first ever 24-hour event.

When I called The Cruzinator about joining are team, he said, "I only have my Single Speed Karate Monkey. Is it okay if I race on that?" I said, "I don't care what you ride just come out and race." "All right," he said, "I'm in." When I showed up at the venue The Cruzinator had a suprize. "I'm going race this bike on the day laps and the Monkey on the night laps."

Other people were more dumb-founded than me. I know one thing--what ever the Cruzinator rides, it goes fast.


The usual suspects were at the race again this year.



And there was one special and honored guest. An ol' friend of mine who wanted to try this solo thing after his retirement. Excellent job Darth :).


Everyone had a great race and a great time. I want to give a special thanks to Steve and Cruz at The Roubaix Bicycle Company for getting the bikes ready to race in Moab.

Everytime I do one of these races I come home with a new set of gifts. The gifts are there if you are willing to receive them. The same thing happened again this year.People ask me why I would do a 24-hour event. The answer is not that simple to explain or to understand. The answer lies somewhere in stories behind these pictures--that is the reason.











No comments: